X and Y axis not going full length

The c and yes axis on my 6550 does not go the full length and width of the machine. When I jog to test it, if I start it in the middle, if I push the right arrow it is only going half way over, there is still about 5 inches to go to the right. The same happens if I go to the left. Up there is about 3 inches and down is about 3 also. How do I make it go the full machine. It is better than before. It hardly moved at all. I tightened the wheels, the screw on the motor wasn’t on the flat surface and I fixed that and tighten the set screws on the rod.

1 Like

Sorry that should say x and y axis

1 Like

Hmm, when you send jog commands does it move the commanded distance? ( longer moves are the best way to test this as 5% over 10" is easier to see/ measure than 5% over 1" )

And When it stops with 5" shy in the X and 3" shy in the Y direction is it hitting a physical stop, or triggering the limit switches or is something else in the software stopping it from moving? IF you are getting an alarm in the software, what alarm number is it?

thanks!

First I am going to ask what software you are using, I use lightburn so would be far more helpful with that software. But i believe you can set the jog distance in both softwares. since the 6550 has no limit switches and you can technically try to jog past the machine frame, i will guess you are only hitting the jog button once in either direction.

1 Like

I was using lasergrbl. I was hitting button many times to go all the way to the end to do the longer move. No physical stop and I searched the software and couldn’t find a reason for to stop. After it did that, I tried to jog again and it went back to what it was originally doing and only moving a couple of inches in each direction. I have been talking to Geno from the help desk and he said he was helping someone else with similar issues and they switched to the other software and it worked. I switched and it now moves, but the laser light seems to big and it is not burning.

1 Like

the laser is out of focus, that is why it looks large. Depending on which diode laser you have, will determine how you will focus it. the 3.5 and 5.5 are manually focused by twisting the lens untill you have a pin point dot. The 15 and 40w diodes you will have to use the little metal cylinder that came with the machine and use that as the space between laser and material surface. and depending on which accessories you have where you place the cylinder changes. If you do not have the air assist installed, the space is between the brass lens cap and material surface. With an air assist the gap is measured between the the green housing and material surface with a black plastic cap attached to the cylinder to compensate for the difference.

1 Like

If you haven’t done so yet, you need to set the size of your workspace to the full size of the 6550. I’m not sure where to do that in LasrGRBL though.

1 Like

OK -
If the unit is stopping after a short distance, chances are you have inadvertently set the soft limits (since the 6550 has no limit switches).

What this means is that the machine will only travel a certain distance from the home position set, and will then throw an error.

By default, the 6550 controller has the max distance set at 200mm; since the machine doesn’t have homing switches, these settings should be ignored. If the configuration has them turned on, then it will pay attention to them…

In the GRBL configuration, check these:

$20=0 (this will remove soft limits)
$21=0 (this will remove hard limits)
$130=650 (X Axis change from 200; this will now match the full machine dimensions, just in case the limits get activated)
$131=500 (Y Axis change from 200; this will now match the full machine dimensions, just in case the limits get activated)

To change in LaserGRBL - with machine connected; go to the Grbl menu and select Grbl Configuration. In the window that opens, change the relevant values and click the Write button.

In LightBurn, same settings can be found in the Edit menu, then Machine Settings.

In either software, you can also type those config values in the Console window and press Enter to send them to the controller.

1 Like

With LaserGrbl, if you are talking about the arrows in the bottom left corner, you will see slidebars to the left and right of the arrows.
The left slidebar controls the speed it moves when you hit the arrow. The right slidebar controls the distance it moves when you hit the arrow.

1 Like

I was originally using lasergrbl but switched after Geno told me it might be a software issue and I think he was right because now it moves. I was hitting the job many times.

1 Like

Geno, from the help desk helped me and all those numbers are right. He said he had someone else with similar problems and they switched to lightburn with no problems, I switched too. So he thinks it could be a software problem with lasergrbl

1 Like