Switching to the Makita router on the Silverback

When switching to the Makita Router on the Silverback, is there a way for the controller to be able to control the router on/off and speed? or is that only going to work on the 24v DC spindle that comes with the Silverback? I’m looking to switch to the Makita router so I can be a bit more aggressive with some of the carvings and have an easier time with using the 1/4" bits. I didn’t see many of the setup videos talking about the Makita router, but I did see one of the videos by Ngrained Woodworks (sp?) that looked like they were controlling the router via the Easel software, but I couldn’t tell how the router was connected to allow that to be done.

It isn’t a huge issue if I can’t control it via the controller, but was just curious.

1 Like

The Makita is turned on with its own switch. So make sure to change your device settings from hardware to manual. I also unconnected the spindle wire at the back of the controller.

You Sure can, You can use the spindle output on the back to control an IOT relay and that will turn the router on/off. However, there has been issues with stocking of the IOT in the past year or so, so IF you’re unable to find one you can make your own IOT style setup using a Solid State Relay.

I happen to have some extra of these Relays and will be making a video in the next month showing how to wire it up for this exact purpose. I will also discuss the IOT relay setup which is much simpler the IOT even has a wider range input and the knob being turned up by accident is a non-issue with the IOT.

In my process I will use the spindle wires that come with the SilverBack and adjust the knob for output power to be in line with the input signal that the SSR requires (usually 4-32V) the main concern with the SSR I have is that the top end voltage is 32V and the SilverBack controller outputs up to 48V (based on that knob position) so setting the knob to a specific range is important to not burn up the SSR (IF you use the same ones as me)

However even with this change the RPM control would still need to be set via the Knob on the router itself.

As noted - not a simple “out of the box” solution for that - looks like Seth is getting pretty deep in the weeds with his setup; sounds nice.

Most people are simply running the spindle control in Manual, and adjust the router motor accordingly.

@SethCNC - definitely want to check out the circuit layout you end up with - sounds like it will provide a lot of flexibility!

1 Like

@SethCNC - definitely interested in your approach that sounds pretty slick.

1 Like