Spindle depth while carving is changing

Hi, I use the 3018-Pro and Easel. After installing a new spindle I find that carving is going fine, until the moment the spindle is not going deep enough anymore and is carving in the air. So it goes on with the carving, just not deep enough anymore. I tried several carvings and the moment that it happens looks to be randomly. The bearings are in place, but I needed to readjust them after the new spindle installation. My idea is that it is the bearings, but how to repair that? If anybody thinks it could be something else, please let me know.

1 Like

Bearings typically would not cause that - particularly in the Z Axis.

Is the spindle motor itself properly secured, so that it can’t shift as the Z axis moves up and down?

If you could get some pics/video of what you are experiencing, that would help us out as well.

1 Like

I agree and the idea of the spindle moving up is exactly what the problem looks like. But, I checked that and it was very tight. It is either this or something in the spindle holder/motor. Ordered a new spindle holder. Have been way too aggressive in the past, which has costs a lot of vibration.

1 Like